In my last post I outlined some of the ways in which parenting adopted children can be an isolating experience. So here are the ways in which it has also made me a better person.
1. The road to adoption, via the cul-de-sac of infertility has been a long and difficult one. All children are precious. I have the privilege of really understanding how precious they are.
2. I have been tested and stretched and challenged every day. I am now a fit, fearless and muscular parent.
3. I know the reality of parenting the children in the NSPCC adverts, I know what most do not. I am in a unique position to destroy the myths forever. Like it or not, every adoptive parent is a campaigner. I enjoy being a campaigner, it is what I was born for.
4. I have met people I would never ever my life have come across. I am frequently forced out of my comfort zone. It has both toughened me up and taught me empathy.
5. I see the enormous achievement which goes into what might look like small successes. Average is now fantastic.
6. My children are little bundles of surprise. They have talents and interests which enrich my life everyday.
7. My children and I have the shared the deepest of secrets with each other. We know each other, really know each other.